Go back to normal view
St Margaret’s was built in 1867. Much of the cost was met by John R Davison of Underriver House. The dedication was in memory of his mother Margaret Davison. The parish was created in 1866. Construction of the church was by Henry Constable (price £1,931), a Penshurst builder and the church was opened on 8 June 1867. Consecration, however, did not take place until 16 July 1875.
St Margaret's was built to designs by Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-78) who became the most successful church architect of his day. His new churches generally have a harmonious quality which so often derived their character from the architecture of the late medieval period. He also designed a number of very important secular buildings, for example the Albert Memorial and the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras.
The churchyard was consecrated for burials in 1889. Plans were drawn up by W D Caroe for an organ chamber-cum-vestry in 1907 but these were deferred and were not executed until 1930 (contractor Edward Punnett and Sons of Tonbridge (tender £601). The fine organ case of 1934 is also by Caroe.